Tuesday, September 25, 2012

TaFuri Studios tries Acid.... etching...




I’ve fallen in love with etching metal. As a long time closet “artist” I’ve sketched my whole life and enjoy using photoshop and other design programs to scan and embellish my drawings. Although I’ve never thought of sharing this work- I can now add them to my jewelry! 

Photos and jewelry 
by Mary Tafuri, visit www.tafurious.etsy.com
 
Acid etching is a slow and somewhat daunting method of adding raised images to metal using acid etching solution. 

To make the sky map necklace shown, I scanned an old sky map and “re-drew” the lines and text in photoshop. I “printed” my drawing to  transfer paper, and carefully applied it to clean metal. 

After forgetting to reverse the image, I repeated the same steps for a more legible version. Next, I floated the metal in the acid bath, until I had the etching depth I desired. Adding several layers of patina gave me the aged metal feel I wanted. I finished it up using leather straps from www.tafuristudios.etsy.com. A little wire wrapping and an orange pearl, and this necklace became a show stopper. 

The process is lengthy, but after seeing the results, the time spent was well worth it. Since showing this work at RAW, I’ve been commissioned to create custom cuffs, like the Vidal cuff shown above right! See more Acid Etched TaFurious Jewelry! 




No comments:

Post a Comment